Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Swing updates & SWN Energy Gap up Base & Break

Wow, well when I mentioned it being tough to swing trade in this market, I didn't expect it to be this tough.

ARD, SWN, & BIDU all pushed higher in early trade before they were hit with some pretty alarming distribution. I tightened my stops in a tiered fashion and as of this posting, I've been stopped out of all of those positions, aside from a little SWN that is left.

I didn't want to have to tighten my stops that much, but when you see a stock gap up or push much higher on strong volume early in the trade, only to lose almost all their early gains, or start falling into the red... you must be alert for a fake out &/or reversal, especially in a market like this.

Despite being stopped out for fairly marginal gains in each of the positions, I consider myself lucky to be in front of my screens and have the opportunity to tighten my stops.

I'll post updated charts of the swings in BIDU, ARD, & SWN later tonight, but here's the SWN Gap up Base & Break (also a HCPG watch list pick last night).

SWN was at the top of my watch list heading into this morning's open. I mentioned in my pre-market post that SWN was gapping up. Thankfully it gapped up and based right below the momentum number of $50.00 (May 21st & all time high).

This is just about the simplest and easiest setup you could ask for if you follow HCPGs style of trading.

Think about it for a second, a gap up is very bullish. In addition, the stock pauses briefly with a base right under a whole round momentum number of 50.

Here's the chart:

3 comments:

Took the same trade on SWN in the morning for a daytrade. I wish I would have handled my exit a little better, took the entire position off on the break of 51

Awesome bubs.

I don't know if you can really fault yourself on the exit. A vertical move like that can reverse in a hurry sometimes. Sure you could have partialed out, but where would you have placed your stop on the remaining partial. As I mentioned on the trade break down, thats one thing I struggled with after a 2% move in less than a minute.

I personally regret not taking a larger position on the setup & break. I'm not to that point yet. I risk the same $$ amount on every trade, but I know the HCPG crew has the instincts and experience to take on larger risk for the right setup.

I'm guessing if they traded this setup, it would have been on a larger position.

I have the same problem with position sizing, not aggressive on the good setups.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home