Tuesday, May 27, 2008

AMAT - Applied Materals - Bull Flag (Failed), MDR - McDermott Intl - Cup & Handle (Failed)

Had a trade early in the day on AMAT, in which the bullish flag failed. Also had a trade in MDR in which the C&H failed.

The charts are from Stockcharts.com today as opposed to the service I regularly use to post my trades (Prophet charts, some sort of data issue).





In hindsight, I clearly shouldn't have taken the MDR setup as it wasn't really a high quality setup (too much choppiness in the handle) and the market really didn't have a lot of volume or force behind it today.

AMAT on the other hand was a decent setup in a sector that was showing fairly good relative strength this morning as many gapped up with LRCX (which was upgraded I believe).

I also managed the AMAT trade a lot better. The loss was much smaller than 1R as the stock wasn't nearly as choppy as MDR. By that I mean, from looking at the charts, you can easily see distinct areas where a stop could have been raised to, yet it was really hard to say the same for MDR.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home